When converting PSD, AI designs, etc. to XHTML / CSS, a popular practice is to use is design to html
service. And a very common question that arises here is: How can you get the best of it?
Conversion of PSD to XHTML can be easily performed as stated below:
• Mail or upload image files on a professional/provider website;
• Select design options and conversion;
• Pay through online payment gateways (PayPal, Google Checkout, 2Checkout, etc.); and
• Receive an encrypted file of the conversion.
However, to get the maximum benefit and to shun unnecessary problems, it is always recommended to follow these easy rules.
Rule 1: Your Design
1. Prepare a layout using any general format like PSD, AI, JPG, GIF, TIF etc.
2. If there are other files such as files containing customized fonts, upload or attach those files without fail.
3. When there are more files to be uploaded, the filename should stand on its own for e.g. “YourNameDate.zip” or “ProjectNameDate.zip”. It would help you track your orders easily.
4. Convey your CSS style: color to the text links, active links, and content in the webpage to the provider.
Rule 2: Your Order
1. Fill in the online order form accurately; usually a PSD to HTML
form have subsections which assists you with these tasks.
2. Alternatively, you can chat live with the assistants or email the complete document with your requirements.
3. Negotiate the cost of service and the turnaround time with the provider and reach a mutual consensus for the same. Make the advance payment if required.
Rule 3: Communication & Change Management
1. Cross check your email address in the order form; and ensure that anti-spam filters for your incoming mails are optimum. In short, let the provider’s email reach you.
2. Once the order is placed for PSD to HTML template
conversion, you will receive a confirmation email from the provider. In this e-mail, all the necessary information (your login and password to access a client zone on their website) will be included.
3. Provide an alternative communication channel such as mobile number, instant messenger ID, etc.
4. Verify the provider's Returns Policy, e.g., whether they offer a money-back guarantee.
5. To maintain confidentiality, ask your provider to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement).
6. Inquire about after sales technical support, usually it’s free.
7. If there are any changes in the layout before or after the completion of the conversion, be objective while estimating changes to be made in the markup.
8. If not sure about the charges for the changes, talk to your provider; together you will come up with a mutual solution faster.
Rule 4: Code Conversion & Delivery
1. Once the markup is completed, provider will forward the final copy for testing. If you have some remarks, ask the provider to fix them.
2. Examine the CSS markup thoroughly in all the supported web browsers.
3. Once your PSD is converted into a W3C standard compliant markup page, provider will send all essential files such as: XHTML or CSS style sheets, sliced images into a zip folder. This folder can be securely downloaded by you.
4. Change the login ID and passwords of your servers, if you have given it to your provider.
5. Write a testimonial for provider if you think they deserve one.